My word for 2016 is ATTEND.
Although I don’t think attending is a superpower, some days I wish it was. On those days, I think if one more person promises that he or she has the superpower to right all wrongs and save US from THEM, I daydream about sticking a pencil in my (or someone else’s) eye. On my better days, however, I choose to acknowledge that while I have no superpowers and am responsible TO the World – I’m not responsible FOR it. I’m responsible FOR my life and how I choose to live it.
To that end, I will attend to what and whom I can. And I’ll remember that I don’t have to attend every argument, drama or political whack-o-doodleness to which I’m invited. Each Sunday , I’ll share something here – an image, a poem, a song or maybe even a story that’s helped me attend to what I can that week.
A lot of people have asked me this week, ” What can we do?” While I can’t tell anyone else what to do, I’m going to (in no particular order):
- make eye contact with people I see;
- thank people (by name, when possible) who serve me;
- ask generous questions and listen generously to the answers;
- look for common ground, before preparing a defensive response;
- refrain from using an electronic device when in the presence of another human;
- continue to contact my Congressional Representatives;
- resist the impulse to believe that anyone who believes differently from me is WRONG;
- choose to act rather than react;
- share my story;
- hear others’ stories;
- not shoot anyone;
- fear not;
- express gratitude;
- while always offering prayer for a better way.
How about y’all?